Stupid Question of the Day

So, does anyone out there know how to add Hangul functionality to my WordPress, without converting the whole thing over to Korean? Right now, my WordPress cannot read/display Korean at all.

I guess I need some sort of plugin, but I am not sure what it best. I know of the Korean IME plugin, but that is a Java plugin and I am not sure how advisable it is. Is there anything better out there? Something more basic?

10 thoughts on “Stupid Question of the Day

  1. I think it’s a simple modification of your wp-config.php file. Try adding the following underneath the info you alter for your database name and password (under the part that says define(‘DB_HOST’, ‘localhost’); or whatever) —

    //define(‘DB_CHARSET’, ‘utf8’);
    //define(‘DB_COLLATE’, ”);

    Does that work?

  2. i don’t understand your problem – WP runs in UTF encoding and support as text entry all langage. I use myself ??, français et English in my blog.
    Questions –
    With your computer can you write in ?? ?
    Do you write your post online (directly in your web browser) or not ?

    (i use in this post some hangul and french special character to see how your WP accept it)

  3. well, i see…
    first back up all your post and setting (folder wp-content) – use the wp-back-up fonction !
    then update to the last WP (2.7). and test.

    if it doesn’t solve this issue – delete all (folder and wp sql table) and do a new clean install.

  4. Thanks for the advice. I updated to WP 2.7, and the CHARSET is already on utf8. However still no Korean.

    I think the problem is in my Collation database, which seems to be set to Latin1_Swedish. “Information Scheme” is set to utf8, but all the other databases are Latin1_swedish.

    Or perhaps it is my wp-contents folder, which does not have a “languages” folder in it.

  5. Please let me know (anyone out there) if you can read the Korean in my previous comment. I can see it on my computer now.

    As I thought, the problem was in the PHP Database, which was set to latin1_swedish throughout. Would have taken forever to convert the whole thing (unless there is a bulk-convert function I did not see). So I changed what I think are the relevant fields to utf8_unicode.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.