By Shawn Despres
We here at Korea Gig Guide wanted to share our favourite live performances of 2009. Check out the lists below to see what concerts KGG staff enjoyed the most over the last twelve months and please feel free to add your own choices in the comments section.
For me, 2009 was a good but not amazing year in music. There were quite a few interesting shows, but not many that blew me away. Personal stuff and work kept me from getting to as many shows as I would have liked, and I missed a couple of the biggest shows of the year. With those caveats, my favorite shows of the year were:
– Funkafric & Boostdah at Gochangjeongol on July 4 (along with Sato Yukie and someone else, who I have now forgotten). Great show, with a real loose, retro vibe, dancing, old music and a great crowd.
– Hwang Bo-ryung at Freebird, for her new album release in May. Absolutely packed house.
– Nosaj Thing show at DGBD on June 27. In particular, the Bulssazo set that opened the gig. Bulssazo is a really interesting band, but they did not have many live shows last year. Hopefully they will play more in 2010.
– Mudaeryuk. The small, odd bar Mudaeryuk started hosting live shows in 2009, usually on Thursday evenings. The shows there are usually small and intimate, with a wide range of acts, both domestic and foreign. But the best part for me is the mood of the place. A lot of interesting artists and other people hang out there, with a decent mix of Koreans and foreigners. And they have Alley Kat Pale Ale on tap.
As for non-Korea shows:
– Leonard Cohen in Barcelona. He may have gotten schmaltzy in his old age, but he’s still one of the best songwriters ever. And seeing him in front of 11,000 rapt Catalans was an interesting experience.
– Tony Allen in Barcelona. This Allen was the drummer for Fela Kuti and a whole bunch of Afrobeat greats. Amazing show, outside beside the Barcelona Cathedral, all all for free.
1. The Roots @ Melon-AX on January 21
2. M83 @ Red Marquee (Fuji Rock Festival, Japan) on July 24
3. Apollo 18 @ Geek Live House on May 1
4. Mass of the Fermenting Dregs @ Red Marquee (Fuji Rock Festival, Japan) on July 26
5. The Plastic Day/ Stretching Journey @ 500 on April 3
6. Ennio Morricone @ Olympic Park Gymnasium on May 27
7. Lullabye Arkestra @ Casbah Lounge (Hamilton, Canada) on January 2
8. Cocore @ DGBG on September 12
9. 49 Morphines @ Sangsang Madang on July 11
10. Sagitta @ Jeju Stepping Stone Festival on July 4
1. Crying Nut @ Melon-AX on September 5
2. Nine Inch Nails @ ETP Festival on August 15
3. Serengeti @ FF on September 25
4. Basement Jaxx @ Jisan Valley Rock Festival on July 25
5. Common Ground @ Jisan Valley Rock Festival on July 24
6. Mineri @ Club Freebird on June 26
7. Apollo 18 @ Sangsang Madang on July 3
8. Psy @ Let’s Rock Festival on September 26
9. YB/ No Brain @ Time to Rock Festival on May 30
10. The Moonshiners @ Grand Mint Festival on October 24